Pin It

Managing Child Custody With An Attorney In Manhattan, KS

In Kansas, child custody is established through a divorce agreement initially. Uncontested divorces enable parents to reach an agreement without additional proceedings. However, when difficulties emerge, the court takes over the proceedings. An Attorney Manhattan KS assists parents who are involved in child custody cases.

Who Gets Custody?

Typically, the court allows the parents to reach an agreement about child custody whenever possible. In fact, parents have the legal right to set up their arrangements and parenting time. However, if they cannot agree on the terms, the court could render their own decision through a child custody hearing. If a hearing is necessary, the judge chooses the parent that could provide the most stable home environment.

What are the Types of Custody?

Child custody is assigned as sole or joint custody. Sole custody indicates that only one parent has legal rights to make decisions for the child. The assignment is rendered when the noncustodial parent presents a risk to the child. On the other hand, joint custody provides both parents with rights to make all decisions.

How is Visitation Managed?

In joint custody assignments, the primary parent has the child for the majority of the time. The parents split the holidays and the child’s birthday. The noncustodial parent has visitation every other weekend typically. However, if the parents live in the same city, the noncustodial parent could get visitation for one week at a time.

In sole custody assignments, The primary parent has the child all the time. The noncustodial parent who is granted visitation is supervised by an officer of the court.

Child Support Payments

The standard for child support payments starts with 10% of the noncustodial parent’s income for the first child. Each additional child receives 5% of the noncustodial parent’s income.

In Kansas, child custody hearings are conducted after a divorce trial. The proceedings require information from each parent, and a guardian ad litem is assigned to the child. The cases end in joint or sole custody, and child support is assigned. Parents who need answers about child custody are encouraged to contact an Attorney Manhattan KS at the Oleen Law Firm or browse the website for more information.